Homemade shortbread is SO EASY to cook, but SO DIFFICULT to stop eating! Here’s how to make your very own shortbread:
100 grams of butter or margarine (whatever you have, but butter is better, because it is hard when it comes out of the fridge. This will make it easier to use. Some people also prefer the taste.)
150 grams of plain four
50 grams of caster sugar (Caster sugar is best for this recipe as the grains of sugar are just the right size. If you can get golden caster sugar, that is even better. It has a toffee kind of taste, because it has not been processed as much as white caster sugar.)
A little bit of extra butter or margarine
A knife (to cut the butter)
A large mixing bowl and a spoon
A baking tray
A cooling rack
Get out all the ingredients and equipment you will need, so you can concentrate on your cooking.
How to make your Homemade Shortbread:
1. Put the butter or margarine into a bowl. If using butter, use the knife to cut it up into small chunks.
2. Put the flour on top of the butter.
3. Now rub the flour into the butter.
This may take you some time, so either put the radio on and listen to some of your favourite music while you are doing it, or even better, have your best friend near by to chat to.
4. When the mixture looks like right, stir in the sugar.
5. Switch the oven on to gas mark 5, 190 degrees Centigrade.
6. Take the baking tray or tin and use the bit of extra butter or margerine to grease the whole of the inside. Just use your fingers to smear a very thin layer all over the surface. This is to stop your biscuits sticking to the tin when they are cooked.
7. Empty the biscuit mixture into the tin and using your hands, squash the mixture down hard. You should end up with a layer of mixture that it about I centimetre thick. It doesn’t matter if the mixture doesn’t reach the end of the tray.
8. Using a knife, divide the mixture into squares. The scruffy bits at the edges are there for you to try, before you serve your guests!
9. Put the tray into the oven to cook. Check it after 15 minutes. Does it smell nice? That will be the first sign that it is done. Is it a golden colour? If so, it is definately done! If it does not seem ready, put it in the oven for another 5 minutes, then check again.
10. When it is ready, the tray out of the oven, and sprinkle some sugar over the top. (Don’t forget to switch off the oven.) This will make your shortbread look nicer and will give it a crunchier texture.
11. Allow the shortbread to cool in the tray for ten minutes. Then, using a knife or a cake slice, lift out the pieces of shortbread onto a cooling rack, until they are just cool enough to serve. Delicious
Why not try Freya’s Chocolate Shortbread?
Aimee April 16th
What do you think?