Rock cakes are SO EASY, they’re perfect if you’ve never made a cake before. Rock cakes are usually made with currants, but in this recipe I’ve put a big blob of jam on the top instead. Delicious! Don’t eat them straight out of the oven, the jam will be very hot!
This recipe will make about 8 rock cakes.
200g self raising flour
80g of caster sugar
2 drops of vanilla essence
2 tablespoons of milk
Your favourite jam
A Wooden spoon
A Tablespoon and a Teaspoon (the little one)
A Baking tray
A flat knife
How to make your Rock Cakes
1. Heat oven to 200C, or Gas 6.
2. In a bowl, rub the flour into the butter.
3. Add the sugar and stir it in with the wooden spoon.
4. Now add the wet ingredients. Crack in the egg and add the drops of vanilla extract and the milk. Stir it all together into a stiff, sticky dough. If it looks a bit too floury, add a little more milk.
5. Grease the baking tray by rubbing on a bit of butter.
6. Next comes the only slightly tricky part of this recipe. Using the tablespoon, drop a large blob of the mixture onto the tray. Use the teaspoon to help push it onto the tray. Flatten the top of the mixture slightly with a spoon.
7. Do the same with the rest of the mixture. (It should make about eight rock cakes). Make sure you leave room between each blob, as the cakes will get bigger in the oven. Remember, you have used self raising flour so they are going to rise.
8. On top of each cake, add a small teaspoon of jam. Don’t add too much, no matter how much you like jam, because the jam will spread in the oven.
9. Put into the oven for about 12 to 15 minutes. They are ready when they are golden brown.
10. Carefully take out of the oven and allow them to cool on the tray. Remember the jam will be hot! Be careful!
If you prefer currants to jam, just add about 80g of them to the mix. Chocolate chips or glace cherries taste great too!
Other Cakes to Try
What do you think?